Let’s Pray For Nepal
The kingdom of Nepal, as it is popularly known, is the abode for the famous Himalayas, Buddha’s birthplace-Lumbini and Pashupatinath Temple. Nepal was among the most sought after places for filmmakers. Hindi cinema and Nepal have come a long way. Be it the locations, the Nepali get up, the music, the artists…all have a great impact on Hindi cinema.
As Nepal goes through hardships because of earthquakes, let us recall some of the Hindi songs which remind us of this abode of the mountains.
1. Hare Krishna Hare Rama: The entire shooting of this film was done in Nepal. Based on the illegal drug trafficking in Nepal.
2. O Re Ghungroo ka bole….another song from the same film shot at one of the famous locations in Nepal.
3. Mahaan: Very well known song from this movie starring Amitabh Bachchan and Zeenat Aman was shot on the famous locations here.
4. When it comes to a Nepali get-up, with the famous Nepali cap et al, we are immediately reminded of the Rajesh Khanna song…..Mere sapnon ki rani kab aayegi tu.
5. Pran as a Nepali man in Kasauti can’t be left behind….hum bolega to bologe ki.
6. We also have songs mentioning the capital Kathmandu in a song or two. Watch Kishore Kumar in a Nepali disguise…..Ge ge geli zara timbaktu…Kathmandu Kathmandu..
7. Hindi film music has so much of Nepal in it. Pancham da used instruments like madal and duggi in almost all his songs. These instruments belong to Nepali folk music. Lekar hum deewana dil.
8. Another example of these instruments used widely in the song. Hum dono do premi duniya…
Actresses Mala Sinha, Manisha Koirala, playback singer Udit Narayan, instrumentalist Ranjeet Gazmer ,fondly known as ‘Kancha’ have their roots in Nepal. Surely Nepal has a deep connection with hindi cinema.
Nepal has been hit by another earthquake in an interval of 2 weeks. Both the times it was massive causing huge amount of destruction. Lets help the people of Nepal in all possible ways.
Lets pray for Nepal!!!