An actor, director, producer, editor, showman and even a singer. Raj Kapoor breathed cinema. He lived in the music of his films. His passion for both, films and music, came forth through the films he made. Making the Hindi cinema much more substantial with his contribution, the music in his films was never irrelevant or illogical. He has given this industry stars like Nimmi, Dimple Kapadia, Rishi Kapoor, Padmini Kolhapure and Mandakini. Multi-tasking at the age of 24, he produced, directed and acted in Aag (1948), established his own studio, RK Films and thus becoming the youngest film director of his time. His instinct for romance and proficiently showing human emotions showed his sensitivity as a director. He captivated the audiences, young and old, with the vivacity of his films and beauty of its visuals.
He had a great ear for music, with an inborn talent of rhythm. His favourite ragas were Darbari, Malkauns, Pahari, Shivranjani. His musical team consists of some gems who were permanent members there – Shankar-Jaikishan, Shailendra, Hasrat Jaipuri, Mukesh and of course Lata Mangeshkar. His immense interest in music, his whole hearted participation in all those musical sessions is the reason why music from his films is still famous. The execution of his songs carried the narrative of the films further. It is a known fact that he shared a special personal bond with his musical team. Throughout his career, it was Shankar-Jaikishan who gave music to his films majorly, irrespective of the banner. But apart from them he has acted in the films which had been given music by their contemporaries.
The article brings in spotlight, few such films, which had Raj Kapoor as an actor with the contemporary music directors. The list has some selected music directors only and doesn’t cover all of them.
1. S D Burman – We begin with a double delight post for this particular combination. S D Burman made Raj Kapoor sing for himself in the film Dil Ki Rani (1947) and then he made Kishore Kumar sing for Raj Kapoor for the film Pyar (1950).
2. Naushad – The combination of Raj Kapoor – Naushad had Mohammed Rafi sing for Raj Kapoor. Hear this peppy duet of Rafi with Suraiyya from Dastan (1950)
3. Ram Ganguly – The future musicians of Raj Kapoor, Shankar- Jaikishan, served as assistants to Ram Ganguly. Aag (1948) had a delightful soundtrack given music by Ram Ganguly. Here Mukesh sings for Raj Kapoor.
4. O P Nayyar – Rock and Roll was the signature of Shammi Kapoor movies. But O P Nayyar, set to tune this modern song in a typical rock and roll style for Do Ustad (1959. Enjoy the patakha number.
5. Madan Mohan – The king of ghazals had Talat Mahmood sing for Raj Kapoor in Ashiana (1952). What a beautiful number from an unusual combination!!
6. Dattaram – Mukesh sings this one of the top songs of Raj Kapoor, for Parvarish (1958), music by Dattaram Wadkar.
7. Khayyam – Phir Subah Hogi (1958), a soundtrack which had simplicity in all its songs. Mukesh sings for Khayyam and for Raj Kapoor on screen.
8. Kalyanji-Anandji – Their association with Raj Kapoor continued for 3 films beginning with Chhalia (1960). Along with it, songs from Dulha Dulhan (1964) also became popular.
9. Roshan – The combination of Raj Kapoor with Roshan gave 3 wonderful soundtracks of Baware Nain (1950), Anhonee (1952) and Dil Hi Toh Hai (1963).
10. Ravi – Nazrana (1960), his only association with music director Ravi, had an entire well known soundtrack.
11. R D Burman – The list of music directors will be incomplete without Pancham. Dharam Karam (1975), Pancham’s association with Raj Kapoor gave one of the most loved philosophical songs.