Re-live The Nostalgia Of Train Journey Through These 10 Songs
“Railways” literally means, in dictionary, a network of tracks with the trains, organisation & personnel required for its working. So what can be lyrical, musical or romantic about the trains?
Well, the Hindi films give us the answer. Hindi films have so many stories & songs woven round the train. Blockbuster like ‘Sholay’ begins with a train sequence and ends with one. Music Directors have found rhythm in the “chhuk-chhuk” noise of the train or even in its whistle. Whether its for a small child, young hearts in love or philosophy of life trains have been an inspiration to so many songs penned.
Here’s looking at the top 10 songs which in some way or the other are linked with trains.
1. Apni Toh Har Aah Ek Toofan Hai (Kala Bazaar-1960) : Devanand-Waheeda Rehman. The song is an example of beautifully directed tongue-in-cheek situation. Waheeda Rehman is seen with her parents, who can’t make out whether Devanand is referring to the God above or their beautiful daughter.
2. Hai Apna Dil To Awara (Solva Saal-1958): A perfectly picturised song in a ‘local train’ where Devanand & his antics try to irritate Waheeda Rehman who’s eloping with her boyfriend. Fancy-free Devanand is accompanied by actor Sundar.
3. Mere Sapnon Ki Rani (Aradhana-1969): One of the best examples of Hindi film songs and the Railways romance. Rajesh Khanna serenades Sharmila Tagore, who’s embarked on the Darjeeling Toy train, on a jeep.
4. Dhanno Ki Aankhon Mein (Kitaab-1977): The song is picturised on a character actor Ram Mohan, playback by R.D.Burman. Ram Mohan, plays an engine driver, calling out for his beloved while the train passes through her village. The rhythm of the train is very well taken in the song.
5. Kasto Mazza He Relaima (Parineeta-2005): Picturised on the Darjeeling toy train Saif Ali Khan dreams about his beloved Vidya Balan in ‘Parineeta’. He’s accompanied on the train by several young children who form a chorus in Nepali words. Playback by Sonu Nigam & Shreya Ghoshal.
6. Hum Dono Do Premi (Ajnabee-1974): Lovers eloping from homes, that too on a goods train. Rajesh Khanna & Zeenat Aman. A well tailored song with train rhythm & the whistle. Like the song says….’thoda safar ka mazaa lijiye ae huzoor’.
7. Dhadak Dhadak Dhuan Udaaye Re (Bunty Aur Babli-2005): Its the beginning of the journey for some small town youths-Abhishek Bachchan & Rani Mukherjee, to bigger cities of opportunities and excitement. Gulzar has penned the lyrics which actully describe the running of the train.
8. Rail Gaadi Chhuk Chhuk (Aashirwad-1968): Rap song in India in 60’s. Surprised? Hear this song by Ashok Kumar from ‘Aashirwad’. This train song is a bit different as this does not have any of the trains mentioned above. This song features children’s play train made by holding onto each other & running around. The song describes the train to the ‘T’,including the station names.
9. Cheel Cheel Chillake (Half Ticket-1962): Kishore Kumar at his lunatic best. The song though seems to be a total nonsense one it has a hidden sarcastic philosophy. An off beat train song. Its fun to watch Pran & Kishore Kumar together.
10. Gaadi Bula Rahi Hai (Dost-1974): Train as a metaphor for life. This melodious song by Kishore Kumar gives the message of never die spirit.
So which is your favorite train song?