The Lethal Combination – R.D.Burman & Gulzar
The lethal combination of R.D.Burman & Gulzar started in 1972 with the movie “Parichay” which was also directed by Gulzar. Both of them gave their ‘Parichay’ (introduction) to the music lovers in true sense.
1. Musafir Hun Yaaron: This was the first song which R.D.Burman composed for Gulzar. RDB went to Gulzar’s house at 1 o’clock in the night to show him the tune made for this song. Both of them sat listening to the tunes in the car and discussed it till morning!!
2. Ek Hi Khwab Maine Dekha hai: During the making of this song Gulzar used the word “chaabiyan” in the lyrics. After that ,every time he entered the music room RDB teased him and said “Dekho chaabiyan aa gayi”
3. Aap Ki Aankhon Mein Kuch: For this particular song in the movie “Ghar”, RDB was petrified to tell Lata Mangeshkar to sing the word “badmaashiyon”. Gulzar had to do the needful while Pancham hid behind the pillar!
4. Dhanno Ki Aankhon Mein: Magic created by Pancham on guitar. He brought a gadget, called Flanger, from USA which when used with guitar produced a different kind of sound in rhythm, similar to the train noise. It can be heard throughout the song in the background.
5. Iss Mod Se Jaate Hain: RDB’s Hindi and Urdu was very weak. When he was shown the lyrics of this song, he jokingly asked Gulzar “Nasheman kaun si jagah ka naam hai?”
Remembering his best buddy Pancham, Gulzar says- Zindagi ka khel akele nahin khela jaata. Hamaari to team hai. Aa jao ya bula lo!!!