Some Lesser Known But Melodious Songs Of Shabana Azmi
Arth, Amar Akbar Anthony, Fakira, Swami, Masoom add to her repertoire of films. Besides making herself known in the commercial Hindi cinema genre, she was the reigning queen of the artful parallel cinema. Building up monuments like Shatranj Ke Khiladi, Sparsh, Junoon, Nishant, Ankur, Fire there was no looking back for Shabana Azmi.
The versatile actress was born to poet Kaifi Azmi and veteran theatre actress Shaukat Azmi. She debuted in the Hindi film industry with Shyam Benegal’s Ankur (1974). Her successful phase started right from her debut and continued, as her films were extremely well-received by the audience, and earned her awards and nominations at various prestigious award functions. Regarded as one of the finest actresses in India, Shabana Azmi, earned praises and awards, including a record of five wins of the National Film Award for Best Actress and several international honours. She has appeared in a number of foreign films, most of which have won international acclaim, including John Schlesinger’s Madame Sousatzka, Nicholas Klotz’s Bengali Night, Roland Joffe’s City of Joy, Channel 4’s Immaculate Conception, Blake Edwards’ Son of the Pink Panther, and Ismail Merchant’s In Custody.
Some of the very best songs of that era which are popular even today, were picturised on her. Yet there are some songs which are melodious but couldn’t find a place in the top list.
Here’s a look into some lesser known but melodious songs of Shabana Azmi –
1. Piya Baaj Pyala – Nishant (1975) – Rendered by Preeti Sagar, the original verses of this ghazal were written by Quli Qutub Shah of Hyderabad. This particular song in the film is set to tune by Vanraj Bhatia.
2. Khaali Pyala Dhundla Darpan – Sparsh (1980) – Sai Paranjpe’s directorial debut, Sparsh, a sensitive film handled very delicately by her. The song written by Indu Jain, rendered by Sulakshana Pandit and music direction by Kanu Roy. This song is sure to mesmerise you.
3. Kitni Haseen Hai Nashili – Yeh Nazdeekiyan (1982) – A film exploring extra marital affair which didn’t do well at the box office had some good songs including this one by Asha Bhonsle. The music of the film was given by Flautist Raghunath Seth.
4. Tumhi Se Roshan Hai Raat – Lorie (1984) – The film is about a mother who goes into depression after losing her child. This particular song is a duet by Talat Aziz and Asha Bhonsle. Music by Khayyam.
5. Ek Baat Dil Mein Hai – Rahi Badal Gaye (1985) – Picturised on a rather odd couple – Rishi Kapoor and Shabana Azmi, you will certainly enjoy this Pancham tune.
6. Gulab Jism Ka – Anjuman (1986) – A typical Muzaffar Ali film, music given by Khayyam. A lovely ghazal in the voice of Bhupinder Singh and Shabana Azmi herself.
7. Main Toh Sang Jaun Vanvas – Ek Pal (1986) – A Kalpana Lajmi film. Starring Shabana Azmi, Farooq Sheikh, Naseeruddin Shah. The film has got some nice songs. Music is by Bhupen Hazarika. This song is rendered by Lata Mangeshkar and Bhupen Hazarika.